How many times have you passed up cashmere because of care instructions? At GOBI, we think everyone should experience the luxury of cashmere. That's why we're providing instructions on how to wash cashmere. Yes, we said wash cashmere.
When washing cashmere, keep two things in mind:
- Never use hot water.
- Always lay garments flat to dry.
With the key points in mind, let's look at the details.
The right wash cycle is one that does not use hot water and doesn't spin dry so fast that garments are flattened against the washtub. Use lukewarm water at about 200C (700F). The washing liquid should be designed for cashmere or wool; however, a detergent for delicate can substitute.
- Check the washtub for debris from previous wash cycles.
- Select a wash cycle labeled Delicate, Handwash, or Wool. Remember, no hot water for any cycle.
- Place the garment in the washing machine.
- Add detergent.
When the cycle is complete, take out the garment for drying. See Drying for more information.
Cashmere care instructions may suggest that the item be dry-cleaned, or hand washed. To wash by hand, use the following instructions.
- Find a washbasin that is large enough to accommodate the item.
- Place about an inch of water in the basin at about 200C (700F).
- Add special cashmere/wool shampoo.
- Stir to dissolve.
- Fill the basin with enough lukewarm water to cover the garment.
- Place the garment in the basin.
- Soak the garment, but not for too long.
- Rinse the garment carefully in clean water until the detergent is removed.
- Squeeze gently to remove excess water. Do not wring the water out of the garment.
Once the excess water is removed, the item is ready to dry. See Drying instructions.
The trick to successful drying is shaping. It's essential to shape the garment while still wet. That's why tumble- or line-drying are not recommended.
- Find a flat space for the garment to dry.
- Shape the garment to its original form.
- Lay the shaped garment flat until completely dry.
For faster drying, roll the garment in a towel, making sure to avoid wrinkles. Gently press to remove water; then, unroll the towel and following the drying steps.
If you choose to iron cashmere, use a steam iron at a low temperature. Do not place the iron on the garment. Use the steam function of an iron and keep a 0.5-1cm (0.2-0.4in) gap between the iron and the garment.
When to Dry Clean
We recommend dry cleaning for all cashmere products for longer durability and freshness. However, not all cashmere has to be dry-cleaned. Here is a guide for the care of cashmere.
Cashmere can be woven, sewn, or knitted. Depending on how the garment is constructed, dry-cleaning may not be required.
- Dry clean woven or sewn items. Woven items include blankets, scarves, shawls, and throws. Sewn garments are coats, blazers, and suits.
- Dry clean or wash according to instructions, knitted items such as pants, scarves, hats, sweaters, gloves, or socks.
- Dry cleaning only is used for mixed woven and knitwear or garments with print, multicolor or silk blends.
Care instructions no longer need to keep you from the luxurious feel of cashmere. With Gobi Cashmere, you can enjoy cashmere knowing that not only is it durable, but it also easy to care for.
Subscribe to our Newsletter to receive about our upcoming news and deals.